Our enhanced actions and goals include:
· We have adopted a no-deforestation policy, which requires our high-volume suppliers to ensure that they prohibit new clearing or palm development on High Carbon Stock (HCS), High Conservation Value (HCV) forests and peat lands or the use of fire for the preparation of new planting or re-planting. By the end of 2015, all suppliers of ELC’s high-volume palm oil, PKO and PKO derived ingredients will be required to provide third-party verification that they are complying with our deforestation policy.
· As a member of the RSPO, we are committed to sourcing our PKO and PKO derivative ingredients from certified sustainable sources and from suppliers that can:
-Demonstrate their compliance with the RSPO Principles and Criteria.
-Support the elimination of deforestation including high-carbon stock forests, high-conservation value forests and peat lands.
-Provide source traceability.
· Until The Estée Lauder Companies is able to purchase 100% PKO derivative ingredients traceable to known and certified sources, we will annually purchase Green Palm Certificates to offset the use of non-sustainable PKO derived ingredients that we procure directly. Green Palm is a certificate trading program, which contributes toward more sustainable palm oil products.
· Our Company seeks to have more than 50% of our overall palm-based material ingredient (by volume) MB or segregated RSPO certified by 2020.
· ELC will map the supply chain for our high-volume palm oil, PKO, and PKO derived ingredient suppliers and assess the sourcing policies and practices of these key suppliers.
We remain committed to acting responsibly and will continue to work with our suppliers and industry partners and other like-minded organizations to find the best ways to encourage and support the development of sustainable palm oil production.