Last updated: September 23, 2016
Information We Collect
Information You Provide to Us
You may choose to provide personal information to us in a number of ways, such as by submitting contact information forms or requests for information or assistance. The types of personal information you may provide to us include:
- Contact information (such as name, postal address, email address, and mobile or other phone number)
- Content you provide (such as articles and comments)
- Information provided to us when you visit our social media platforms (such as your name, profile picture, likes, location, friend list and other information described in the social networking application sign-up page)
Any information you provide to us on the Site (regardless of your country of residence) is collected, controlled and processed by The Estée Lauder Companies in the United States at 767 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10153 USA or by Investis Inc. on servers located in the United States.
Information We Collect by Automated Means
When you visit the Site, or use one of our social media platforms, we collect certain information about your usage or device by automated means or by using technologies such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons. As set forth in more detail below, we may also collect information about your usage and browsing habits using various web-based technologies.
Technologies We Use
In addition to the information you provide to us, we may use the following technologies to automatically collect information about your activities on our websites.
- Cookies: “Cookies” are small bits of information that are placed on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies remember information about your activities on the site to make your visits to our website more enjoyable and valuable to you by providing a customized experience and recognizing your preferences when you visit our website. If you've chosen to disable cookies on your browser, some of the functionality of our website may be lost.
- Flash Cookies: “Flash cookies” (also called Local Shared Objects or “LSOs”) are data files similar to cookies, except that they can store more complex data. Flash cookies are used to remember settings, preferences, and usage, particularly for video, interactive gaming, and other similar services.
- Web beacons, clear pixels, or pixel tags: “Web beacons” are small graphic images on a Web page or in an e-mail that can be used for such things as recording the pages and advertisements clicked on by users, or tracking the performance of e-mail marketing campaigns.
- Web server logs: Web server logs are records of activity created by the computer that delivers the webpages you request to your browser. For example, a web server log may record the search term you entered or the link you clicked to bring you the webpage. The Web server log also may record information about your browser, such as your IP address, operating system type, browser type, domain, the cookies set on your browser by the server, the language your system uses and country and time zone in which your device is located.
- Geo-location technologies: Geo-location technology refers to technologies that permit us to determine your location. We may ask you to manually provide location information on our website, or to enable your mobile device to send us precise location information. We may also automatically collect general location information from your web browser.
Third Party Web Analytics Services
We may use third party web analytics services on this Site and our social media platforms, such as Google Analytics. The service providers that administer these services also use technologies such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons to help us analyze how visitors use the Site. The information collected through these means (including IP address) is disclosed to these service providers, who use the information to evaluate use of the Site.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information you provide or we collect to:
- Provide requested information and services to you
- Create and manage your online account
- Respond to your inquiries and questions
- Communicate with you about, and administer your participation in, special events, programs, and surveys
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business
- Manage our communications
- Analyze our services or products
- Perform market research and data analytics
- Determine whether you’ve visited us before or are new to the Site
- Performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions (like system administration)
- Operate and communicate with you about our social networking platforms
- Comply with applicable legal requirements or our policies and procedures or relevant industry standards including the enforcement of our Terms and Conditions.
We also may use the information in other ways but we will provide specific notice of such intended use at the time of collection.
We will retain the information we collect from you until you elect to no longer receive communications from us.
California Do Not Track Notice
Under California law, website and online service operators are required to disclose how they respond to web browser “do not track” signals or other similar mechanisms that provide consumers the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of personal information about a consumer’s online activities over time and across third party websites, to the extent the operator engages in that collection. At this time, we do not track our customers’ personal information over time and across third-party websites and therefore this requirement does not apply to us.
California law also requires website and online service operators to disclose whether third parties may collect personal information about their users’ online activities over time and across different sites when the users use the operator’s website or service. Third parties that have content or services on our site such as a social feature, analytics service, or an advertising network partner, may obtain information about your browsing or usage habits but this information does not include personal information. We do not knowingly permit such third parties to collect any personal information from our site unless you directly provide it to us and we provide it to them with your consent.
Information We Share
We do not rent, sell or otherwise disclose personal information we collect about you to third parties so as to permit those third parties to directly market to you. We may share your personal information in the following circumstances:
- Service providers who perform services on our behalf based on our instructions including Investis Inc., web hosting service providers and data analytics service providers. We do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements.
- Third parties through social networks, widgets and plug-ins. If you use any features made available to you on our Site by a third party it may result in information being collected or shared between us and the third party. For example, if you use Facebook’s “Like” feature, Facebook may register the fact that you “liked” us and may post that information on Facebook.
In addition, we may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity.
Your Rights and Choices
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we collect from you, such as how we use the information and how we communicate with you. To update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists or submit a request, please contact us as specified below.
- Email Opt-Out: You can at any time tell us not to send you investor communication alerts by email by clicking on the unsubscribe link within the emails you receive from us or by contacting us as indicated below. You also may opt out of receiving emails from the Estée Lauder Companies.
- Withdrawing Consent: You may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us, or object at any time on legitimate grounds, to the processing of your personal information. We will apply your preferences going forward. In some circumstances, withdrawing your consent to our use or disclosure of your personal information will mean that you cannot take advantage of some of our services.
- Reviewing, Updating and Modifying Personal Information: Subject to applicable law, you may have the right to request access to and receive details about the personal information we maintain about you, update and correct inaccuracies in your personal data, and have the information blocked or deleted, as appropriate. The right to access personal information may be limited in some circumstances by local law requirements. You may request to review, change or delete your personal information by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting us by telephone at 1-(212) 572-4200 or by writing at the address given in the How to Contact Us section below.
Children Under 13
Note that we do not intentionally collect any personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13 you can look at our Site, but you may not register or submit personal information to us. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personal information from a visitor under the age of thirteen on the site, we will delete the information from our records.
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
The Estée Lauder Companies Inc.
Global Consumer Communications
767 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10153